
Our very close family friend, Auntie Fran, died yesterday in her sleep. She had only recently been diagnosed with cancer, and had been given 6 months to a year to live - so this news came as a bit of a shock.
Auntie Fran doesn't want any memorial service or funeral, but I don't think she'd mind me sharing some memories I have of her. She was there for all the big events in my life - graduations, etc. and even came all the way out to Edinburgh for our wedding nearly four years ago. It was a long way for her to come, but it just wouldn't have been the same without her there.
I remember her bringing me soup and ice cream when I was ill as a child. I remember her even picking me up from school one day when I was ill, and her tucking me up in her bed and looking after me. She was a part of our family in many ways.
I remember her and Uncle Ed giving us the most creative gifts - one year they gave my brother a walnut. We were confused, until they also gave us a nut cracker. They had opened and hollowed out the walnut, stuck some money in there, and then glued it back together again!
I remember swimming in their pool, and I remember the chocolate sodas. I remember the butterfly sticker on their sliding glass door. I remember Auntie Fran glueing or sewing a huge boquet of fake flowers to a baseball hat to wear to an outdoor play on top of Mount Tam.
But basically, I will remember Auntie Fran as a wonderful, vibrant, outspoken woman with a great laugh. And I'll miss her.
3 comments:
Hi Leah -- what a wonderful photo of you and Fran! You have so many wonderful memories and I know you will continue to treasure them -- and share with Aidan as he grows. He is growing into a bigger version of his former adorable self that I saw over Christmas. I hope his health improves steadily and that he will eventually become immune to "bugs." Not likely but I'm being hopeful :-) My love to you, Dave and Aidan. My heart is sad for you, David and your Mom and Dad. It is a difficult time. xxx
Leah, I'm sad to hear about Auntie Fran... I know she was a special part of your family... As for Aidan, is he walking? Wow, when's his birthday? oxox Love you, Alex
I'm sorry for your loss. Sharing your stories is a wonderful way to honor her.
Post a Comment